The City of South Padre Island believes online conversation is an important community activity. The City’s goals for this space are to:
- Provide additional channels of input for citizens and other potentially-affected interests
- Increase the transparency of the City’s decision-making process
- Facilitate a sense of community
- Reach new audiences with City messages and information.
Rules for posting
We wish to promote effective communication and maintain a respectful dialogue. In that spirit, we will maintain a productive and open forum for community discussion. Our moderators use these rules to ensure that posted comments are constructive and suitable for all readers, while respecting a range of opinions and points of view.
All comments are read prior to posting, which is why there will be a delay between submission and posting.
Moderators will post comments that comply with the following rules:
- Comments must be within the scope of the topic under discussion on this weblog.
- Keep comments short. If your comment is more than 350 words it will not be posted.
- Do not include sensitive personal information such as, address, phone number, social security number or other sensitive information. Names are recommended but not required.
- Do not represent yourself as another person.
- Your comments must be civil. They must not contain malicious, offensive, threatening, profane or insulting language.
- No references to the personality of other participants or individuals, or attacks on individual character will be permitted.
- Information about locating and sharing knowledge and expertise is welcomed, but within the specific discussion provided here. Links to other web sites or pages must be relevant to the topic.
- Advertising or promotional announcements are not permitted. Event or publication announcements are permitted only if they have direct relevance to the subject of discussion.
- This is a forum for community issues and not for electoral campaign purposes. Such messages will not be published.
- This forum is intended for community discussion among South Padre Island residents, but non-residents are welcome to comment.
- You are legally responsible for what you write in this space and it must not breach any law, confidentiality or copyright. Because you are responsible for your statements, be careful about exaggeration, innuendo, etc.
- You may be temporarily or permanently excluded from this dialogue space if you act contrary to these rules and to the spirit of this online forum.
Important: Comments are not deemed to be official public testimony concerning any project or program for which the City is required to hold a public hearing. Expressing your opinion here is for discussion only and is not a substitute for a formal statement in a public hearing process.